What is it, this curiosity d’jour?
Well, I’m excited to say that it’s about getting ready for a co-presentation w/ my fabulous friend, Cynthia Greenawalt. The title of our presentation is “The Art of Breaking Dishes: A Multi-Dimensional Approach Toward Launching Your Life’s Work.” Here’s what we’re hoping to cover:
What is omnipreneurship? Well, I drafted that answer already here.
The myth of the side hustle: If it’s what you do on the side and it actually feels like a “side project,” then you’ve got a problem; because, you’re not fully committed in your body, mind and soul.
It’s important to remember that IF your side hustle is where your passion is AND you are divided, you may not be expressing your passion boundlessly in every act that you do. So, if you have a “side-project” and it’s not being fulfilled in the expression of your day to day actions (a.k.a. everything that you do), then it’s time to move forward with the next step: INTEGRATE. And remember:
“All boundaries are conventions waiting to be transcended… One may transcend any convention, if only one can first conceive of doing so.” — Scene from Cloud Atlas.
So use your imagination and get down to business!
Which brings me to my next point: break the dishes, gosh darn it, and make a mess! You’re going for Richard Branson, Elon Musk, Martha Graham, Madonna huge here! And you’re starting with what you have to grow your The Big Idea.
It’s going to be messy. And, you’re going to do more than you could have ever imagined possible as you stretch beyond your own boundaries. Your to-do-list, therefore, will be so long that you’ll feel like you can never get “it” done (sometimes). So…
With so much on my plate, how do I get “everything” done?
- Nothing great was built by one man.* So partner, collaborate, hire, delegate, and express your fullest leadership potential.
- Master the flow to do & let go. Tools are helpful: Your Calendar, the Inbox, ToDoIst, Calendly, Contactually, etc.
- If something is stuck, dig deep & decide. It’s about making a choice:
- If yes, integrate.
- If no, stop.
*Yes, I said ‘man’ for a reason… to make an IMPORTANT POINT… because it’s going to take more than men, in fact! It’s going to take all kinds of beautiful people from all walks of life to realize our biggest dreams. Diversity & innovation (creativity) go hand-in-hand… but that’s a topic for my book, “The Art of HR: Diversifying Talent & Developing Leaders.” (Stay tuned for more!)
And once you’ve boosted your confidence in productivity, remind yourself that this is a journey not a destination. So, don’t hold onto your ways too strongly. You need to be able to let go of even the systems that you so tediously design. Let your baby grow up, please. And sometimes that means letting go of something that used to work. Let this natural cycle continue, because movement is life.
This is in fact the answer to another question that comes up in “The Art of Breaking Dishes:…:”
What does it means to flourish as an entrepreneur? Well, based on this approach of omnipreneurship, where you are nurturing an endless ecosystem of potential, the short answer is this: it means that you are nourished by the growth of all things being fully nourished.
- flour·ish [ ˈfləriSH, verb ] 1. (of a person, animal, or other living organism) grow or develop in a healthy or vigorous way, especially as the result of a particularly favorable environment. “wild plants flourish on the banks of the lake;” synonyms: grow, thrive, prosper, do well, burgeon, increase, multiply, proliferate;
- Origin, Middle English: from Old French floriss-, lengthened stem of florir, based on Latin florere, from flos, flor- ‘a flower.’ The noun senses ‘ornamental curve’ and ‘florid expression’ come from an obsolete sense of the verb, ‘adorn’ (originally with flowers).
What I love about this organic approach towards business is this: it results in an opportunity to be boundless in your creativity whilst grounded in your truth.
You are a majestic flower in a magical universe ready to prosper into infinity! This is what it means to be a true practitioner of omnipreneurship.
Stay curious, people. Otherwise, you’ll be bored.
P.S. Your ability to “succeed” is in your ability to “be. here. now.” As my #ArtsMeetsBiz collaborator Emileena Pedigo reminds us, “The Future is Unstable so Live in the Moment.”